I love sweet potato! There. I’ve said it, it’s out there for the world to see.
But I don’t get to have it very often; same as mushrooms, butternut squash, parsnips and anything else vaguely similar to these. Times I do get to have these are when I’m making food for just me or separate side dishes such as the one I am about to show you. You can guess why, my husband doesn’t really like any of it and it’s easier to just do batches of food that we can both eat.
This potato hash though, called for sweet potato (in mine anyway) and a delicious treat it was too!
I would say it’s a healthy dish, but I think mine had too much cheese on to be able to say this – so just don’t add as much cheese and you’re good to go!
Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet potatoes or baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
Red onion, peeled, halved then quartered
grated Mozzarella or a crumbling of feta cheese
Dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 230C/450F/Gas Mark 8.
- Add all of the ingredients into a roasting dish and toss to cover the potato and onion with the oil and spices.
- Sprinkle over your mozzarella now if having this, if you’re having feta then don’t add this yet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time. Check potatoes are cooked, if not cook until they are tender.
- Once cooked you can add your feta if having this, otherwise you can go ahead and serve.
We had this with green beans (oven cooked in balsamic vinegar and honey) and some fancy pork and apple sausages. I certainly enjoyed my dinner that night, I can tell you!